Something that was meant to be a fairly quick painting/study, but inevitably capturing my interest and thus more of my time. I did enjoy it…although I might take a break from looking at this many skull references for a bit. 😅 This will be the last post for this year; so I’ll be wishing you all the best for 2020, and I can’t thank you all enough for supporting my work. 🙂
A slow end of October; in terms of sharing more work here that I had originally planned. Trying to get more paintings done for portfolio updates, as well as certain personal deadlines I want to meet. Hopefully I’ll get more new work up here soon. 🙂 Until then, a little toned paper sketch from ITV’s Sanditon. Little bummed we didn’t get a proper Austen ending from Andrew Davies. 😆 Still, a huge fan of Davies and love every adaptation he’s done.
Also, you can follow me on Instagram & Twitter if you’d like a glimpse into what I’m working on, I try to get more updates for you guys on my socials anyways. 🙂
Getting back to working with graphite again. I think I had gotten a little annoyed in the past because of smudging issues. Working with blending stumps has really bought back my love for it again; and its just refreshing.
With this painting I really wanted to continue with the fantasy elements, but also get back to the study of sheer fabrics that I enjoyed when painting Call of the Sirens. Fabrics are always intimidating for me, because if it’s sheer or even satin let’s say…well for the most part you only get one chance to get it right with watercolours. Too much paint can mess up the piece real fast, and finding how light and skin works in whole equation is another thing altogether. I’m still learning by studying from the masters, by looking at many classical paintings; ranging from Regency to Edwardian. Although, I have to find a way to adapt those techniques from oils to watercolours, which is a fun challenge.
I liked the look of the early stages of the painting as well, making a note to experiment with even less paint in future projects. Sometimes I find it a bit hard to judge how dark I need to make a watercolour painting; as most artists in this medium will know, scanning the artwork doesn’t always get you the most flattering results in the end. There’s a certain grey/dark tone or evenness I like to achieve (which I’m not doing a good job explaining unfortunately), and scanners mess it up royally with its bright light giving unwanted contrasts across the painting. I’m lucky to have a good Epson scanner, but there are some things that can’t be fixed and I do my best with Photoshop in the end. 😄
*Update on In Fate’s Hand Painting Auction
I’ve realized I hadn’t updated the info here on my blog as I had on Instagram. The original painting of In Fate’s Hand that was for auction on Ebay, has now been moved to the shop. I had some issues with Ebay account, as it was a new one, and felt it would get better views directly in the shop. 50% of the sale of the painting will still go the Canadian Fallen Firefighters Foundation as originally planned, so please pass on the word and check it out for yourself if interested. Thanks! 🙂